

Minutes follow from the Sunset Hill Neighborhood Association Executive Committee Meeting, Monday, May 9, 2016.

In attendance: Jeanne Pees (President), Carolyn Crawford (Vice President), Clint Idol (Secretary), Janis Hutchison (Treasurer), Members at Large: Marlene Merrill, Gary Webber, Joanna Kuczera, Susie Nightingale, Paula Kellogg

J.P: A utility pole on the curve on 9<sup>th</sup> before Chalk Hill Ct was struck by a vehicle at John Grimmel's yard. John would serve on the committee if asked. We need two one year terms, three three-year terms, and one two year term. Those leaving the Executive Committee are: I am supposed to be, but I would consider staying on if someone would agree to be President. I would train that person. I will take that person to the LAN meetings and City meetings.

Leaving the committee is Carolyn Crawford, Mark Hoppe is going of the board and so is Janis. So we would need a Treasurer, Clint still has until 2018 and so does Gary. At the end of the business we will see who is interested in doing what.

I don't know what we could do to have the new members stay on and learn the ropes... We could add a couple more people to the board.

Once they are corrected we will send the minutes to the membership

I want to find out from Shannon that we are 70% rental, the last census said 60% rentals.

SN: Meadowbrook added the extension.

### **Treasurer Report:**

JH: It did help to send the return envelope for dues and April 1, we got so many back we have 79 members to date that have paid \$5, and we have 24 that will receive the mailing, and among the 79 are ten brand new members.

Our bank balance today is \$952.66.

JK: how does the number of members compare to the number of households?

...

JH: We have the largest membership of all the neighborhoods

JK: Assuming a 60% rental part, it could be that homeowners are more interested.

JH: We have a age range from some very new working people and many holdovers year after year.

JP: Every other year we go door to door with a notice of the annual meeting. We do duplexes and single family homes. Facebook has brought on some new members a young man on Schwarz street wants to help with recruitment of new members.

Follow up from the annual meeting: I did get a thank you note from Darci Kraus. We appreciate your support. We do have letterhead and we responded. We also wrote Logan Isamann a thank you as well as David Cronin and asked David a question about Chalk Hill Ct. David said that removing the stop sign at Kasold and Eighth would cut down on cut through traffic in the hood.

GW: We have discussed this at length. It would be tough on the people of the neighborhood, but it's not a bad option.

JH: We have so few through streets

SN: That stop sign is a nightmare.

JP: So that is an option and an option for the children would be a push button light.

GW: There wouldn't be a turn lane option on Kasold.

JP: I'm thinking that what we could do, with Mr Grimmel being concerned, is we could organize a special meeting with Public Works, David Cronin and the police. When I was talking to John, traffic was whizzing by. I was talking to the lady on Lawrence Ave and she said the same thing about Lawrence Ave.

SN: That would be a good idea.

GW: It has been 2 years. They have their plans ready to present to the commission. In the next few months, David will submit these options. There will not be more options available. If the neighborhood wants to advocate for one of the options we should do so at the commission meeting.

JP: We could set up a meeting somewhere with the neighbors.

SN: People are concerned about the curb on Eighth St.

GW: David is really great, and if we told him that we wanted to help people get informed and then when they are informed, they can make a comment.

SN: Last fall we set up a Neighborhood Watch at Chalk Hill Ct, and sent the letter to the City Commission. The same letter addressed getting the house remediation (Chalk Hill Ct) and they have listened to that. I'm not sure if David got it.

JP: We would have to decide. Do we want to do that? Would there be enough interest?

SN: Every single day we have traffic concerns there.

JP: The utility pole was hit at the curve of 8th and Chalk Hill Ct. Their daughters bedroom is located on the front corner of the house.

SN: It would be helpful to have someone from the police.

Gary: If the meeting is regarding traffic, that would be David Woosely and not David Cronin's department. The problem is what do we want to do?

MM: The more issues that you bring, the harder it is to come to consensus.

SN: They had the lines drawn on the pavement, and then the lines were taken off because one neighbor complained. Those people have moved.

GW: So you would like a speed hump at the top of the hill?

SN: In addition to the other two.

GW: David was the one that helped us with the humps in the first place. Could we go see David Woosely about this?

JP: We'll see if he thinks that will help. I put a little email together to everyone with what Officer Powell had to say. She did turn in the house on seventh and she turned that over to drug enforcement. Other concerns are ongoing. Two cars of concern were removed and the one truck is still there. Crestline and Stratford was cleaned up pretty well, neighbors are interested in a No Parking sign. Officer Powell said that if someone really wants to know the crime stats she will provide that information.

GW: Someone else asked about the email addresses of the membership

MM: I would rather they come to a central source. How many emails do we get?

JP: Not too many. They all come to me.

GW: If the President were willing, I think that would be appropriate.

[All agree here]

JP: The Schwarz road guy that lives between 6<sup>th</sup> and 9<sup>th</sup> wants to do a neighborhood watch. Susie will help him get started. What needs to happen?

SN: You go to each house with a form provided by the police, and then you have to have over 50% return the completed forms. Last time we got more than that; 16 out of 19 houses. The city put the sign up right away. We then had a meeting with the resource officer.

My neighbor is making a pictorial directory of the neighborhood. We are trying to get people to know each other a little better. Permission is requested. The new neighborhood

watch would be Schwarz Rd between 6<sup>th</sup> and 9<sup>th</sup>.

JP: We will provide the two signs and hot dogs and buns. If any of the officers could come. We will hear from Susie.

GW: We talked about sending members all the bylaws.

JP: That is still happening.

CI: Jeanne, I emailed you regarding Dropbox, a file sharing program to make documents available to our group. I would be willing to get that started.

JH: I have the history of 2009 on up. I would need a hard copy.

CI: And those archives are really important, but this would be a place for collaboration and storage for the group.

GW: I think it's a good idea.

MM: Me too.

JP: We all voted last year, it was complaint driven, to improve the intersection of 9th and Rockledge, going to the park with families is a little scary. Shannon and Don and others proposed improvements. We met, and proposed. But with the SRTS budget cuts and overspending, Chuck Soules said it wasn't very high on the list. He discussed that CIP grant projects were due July 1st, so I quickly got a copy of our proposal to the city. It was 30 days late. You might have noticed that there was a new curb and cut out put in at the northeast corner. This was not what we requested, but the street repair people and Public Works, they corrected it the way they normally do.

GW: They rebuilt the sidewalk intersection at that corner, was that good enough?

JP: What we were hoping to do is have the sidewalk that set back and don't approach the intersection so that pedestrians are not so close to the street. You are almost in the street. You are right out there. They had heard about the busses going on the curb.

GW: They put a bus apron there.

JP: We did not know that there are all kinds of utility lines under there and it would have been difficult to do what we wanted. Also with the new bus hub going up between KU and the City, the transit system is thinking about new routes, so they don't want to do too much at the intersection as they might not have busses use that route. We are still looking at speed humps there at Rockledge and want to make it safer to cross. David Woosely needs reminding that we need a fall traffic study and we can still go for the speed hump and fix the approaches at the other corners. The Traffic Safety Commission did

a Spring study. With the latest news that the city is spending too much, I don't know what we will get on that.

GW: We got a lot of upgrades in the neighborhood. Where does the committee and the NA stand on improvements? It's a little tricky to understand because we all have individual ideas about what we want. We should all have the opportunity to opt in or out on proposals to the City.

CC: The reason that we get the attention of the city is because they don't have the staff to go out and do surveys and that is why we should put in time to help the city.

GW: Well, it certainly seemed to help.

JP: We look at sight obstructions.

JP: The Facebook page. Shannon Spradling has continued to monitor the page. We have a mission statement. We didn't want people to use it to complain. We were supposed to come up with who does what with the page. It is supposed to be a 2 person management. Kimberly Williams is supposed to be consulting. Clare Doveton and Shannon Spradling are supposed to be posting. Do they meet to discuss who answers comments? I think Shannon does. So we need to fine-tune the page regarding responsibility.

Before we close. May 19 flower planting at Centennial Park. 10am-11 or 12. We need people to come at 8am. Susie will come at 8. Paula will be there at 8. Bring your own coffee, water, gloves and trowel. Show up at Rockledge and Sixth at that corner. Park in the skate park lot. SHNA will get Muncher's donuts. In the past we had one person from the City. They have a plan about what goes where.

Who will do what with regard to the Executive Committee? The nine on the committee are Troy Hagen, Susie Nightingale, Kathy Heppert, Gary Webber, Joanna Kuczera, Paula Kellogg, Marlene Merrill, Clint Idol, Kathy Heppert.

JP: What we need is for someone to fill Shannon's spot and also we can get John Grimmel involved. Carolyn is going off the committee. If we can get two one years... Lets all agree to see if we can find a one-year member. Paula and Kathy and Joanna are three-year commitments. Clint and Gary go off the committee in 2018. Susie will have a two-year commitment and Troy will be a one-year commitment.

SN: What about Mr Wood? We will get to know him at neighborhood watch, or his wife.

JP: We do have to get better about a nominating committee.

GW: Why do we need to have the subcommittee?

JH: I don't think the group is big enough to need that.

GW: We don't. We just need to start a month or two earlier.

JP: Clint will continue as secretary. Gary Webber will act as Vice President and be President next year. Jeanne will do a one-year term as President. Joanna will be treasurer.

Motion to approve. Motion seconded. Motion passes

GW: A voice must be given to "all opposed say neigh,"

JP: All opposed? The vote was unanimous.

CC: We do have special projects, welcome packets, and notifications and some are time limited, and we could use people to do those that are not on the board. Two people is not enough for that. Walking the neighborhood can take a few days.

JP: Joan Stone and Lisa Spencer have agreed to do the Applause Award Committee again. The new neighbor packet is handled, Kimberly Williams reports on the new home sales for the quarter. 11-15 new neighbor packets go out quarterly. Scone Lady Coffee Shop donated coffee, the Merc donates 5 off a 20 dollar purchase. Everyone else said no, because they didn't see the coupons get used.

PK: I was in favor of the city information.

CC: By far the most important.

GW: I want to help distribute them.

SN: I will take 912 Chalk Hill court

GW: Two lots on 2703 Stratford are like little forests.

JP: That is Mrs Mathews'. They aren't really yards and so the code will not address them. If someone had a hazard backing out, the city had them trim that up the apron by the sidewalk.

Do we have a date for the next meeting? We have to meet Jan or Feb. and then in May, So maybe the end of August or Sept. The third week of September. Tuesday the 20th at 7.

Motion to adjourn at 8:16. Motion passes.